5 Simple Storage Ideas for Small Spaces
If you live in an apartment or small home, you probably crave more storage space. If you’re looking for ideas on how to maximize your small spaces storage check out our five space saving storage ideas below! Open up even the smallest space, use these ideas and transform your homes storage.
Adding Shelves Above Your Doors
Consider adding shelving throughout your apartment or home. It may seem like an obvious storage idea, but where to add them isn’t so obvious when you’re lacking wall space. Take a look above your doors, you may have a few feet of space to work with. Even the smallest of space is likely to have at least two or three doors that can be used for storage, add shelves above your toilet in your bathroom to make room for your toiletries.
How to Use Shelves Above Doors:
- In Your Kitchen: Display glassware and china that reflect your personal style.
- In Your Living Room: Show off books or seasonal items like pumpkins or Christmas decorations.
- In Your Bedroom: Place baskets on top of the shelves to hold junk-drawer type of items.
- In Your Bathroom: Stock additional towels, toiletries and all kind of surplus bathroom supplies.
Shelves and Hooks Behind Doors
Think beyond the conventional use of a door, and look at it as a space savor! The average height of a door is roughly 6 feet 8 inches, giving you a ton of space to hang items. This trick can also be used on closet doors, in your kitchen pantry, bathrooms, and more. Hang hooks behind your doors to store items you use more often like coats, robes, towels, and aprons.
How to Use Shelves and Hooks Behind Doors
- In Your Kitchen: Pantry doors present a big opportunity to store food packages and plastic bags.
- In Your Bedroom: Hang clothes for easy access and to create additional space in your closet.
- In Your Bathroom: Hang towels to dry or add metal baskets to store bathroom supplies.
Store Items Above Cabinets
If your cabinets don’t run along the ceiling, make use of that unused space! Kitchen and bathroom cabinets usually have a few feet of space above them, which create natural shelf space. Use this space in small apartments and homes by displaying decor or knickknacks you wan’t to have out but can’t find the room for.
How to Use the Space Above Cabinets
- In Your Kitchen: Prop up plates or add decorative signs to round out your kitchen.
- In Your Bathroom: Stack towels on top of cabinets or add baskets for infrequently used items.
Create Your Own Display Area
If you want to show off your child’s artwork, your extensive book collection, or your china, then do it! Use old wooden crates, hanging racks, and open shelving, along with other storage methods to create your own display area. Your items don’t have to be hidden behind closets and cabinet doors. Combine functionality and aesthetics by creating these display areas for items you want to show off!
How to Make Use of Display Areas
- In Your Kitchen: Use any flat surface to display artwork or stock small kitchen appliances.
- In Your Living Room: Store items that reflect your hobbies and personal interests.
- In Your Bedroom: Display a collection of pictures or objects that show off your creative side.
- In Your Bathroom: Add personal memories, greenery or create an appealing bathroom display.
Make Use of Every Wall
Free wall space is the biggest space saving storage opportunity in even the smallest of homes. You at least have four walls, there itself is a ton of opportunity. Install cabinets or shelving to maximize the space in any room of your home, and don’t forget the hallways! Store items vertically to free up the floors and make your space seem bigger. Take a look around your home and make use of whatever free wall space you have!
How to Make Use of Walls
- In Your Kitchen: Hang often-used pots and pans above the stove or sink for easy access.
- In Your Living Room: Install shelving units to stack books and personal memories.
- In Your Bedroom: Use the space above your bed to store out-of-season clothing items or shoes.
- In Your Bathroom: Add hanging baskets to house toiletries and medical supplies.
Make the most out of your small space by maximizing your storage. Stay organized and add storage wherever possible as a solution to your storage problem. Remember sometimes you may have to de-clutter or part with some items you just have no space for. If you’re looking to do a little clean out call us at Dumpster Rental Inc for an affordable dumpster rental! Call us today for a free quote and get started transforming your small space!