A basic understanding of the laws in your will help you in avoiding any penalties and get the best usage out of your dumpster rental service. A permit may be required to rent a container in your area. The easiest way to find out if this applies to you is to call us at Dumpster Rental Inc! By calling in and speaking to one of our waste solutions experts, and providing them with a little information including:
Renting a roll-off dumpster doesn’t give you free reign to dispose of any and all junk or waste you having lying around the house or yard. The types of prohibited waste and debris vary by dumpster rental provider, but there are several items banned by nearly all dumpster rental companies nationwide.
Just as there are rules pertaining to what you can toss in your trashcan, there are also guidelines to follow when it comes to your rented dumpster. These rules are in place for environmental reasons as well as local and state regulations related to waste disposal.
Always discuss the type(s) of debris or waste you’re disposing of with your dumpster rental provider. They’ll help ensure you understand what’s allowed and what’s not allowed.
What CAN I Put in the Dumpster?
Generally, any type of construction and demolition (C&D) debris is allowed, including but not limited to:
- Brick, stone, and masonry
- Roofing shingles
- Renovation debris
Other non-toxic debris is also typically allowed, such as:
- Furniture – sofa, chairs, tables, etc.
- Yard waste – leaves, tree branches, debris, etc.
- Household junk – household items, mattresses, toys, curtains, etc.
- Paper products, including cardboard
- Scrap metals and other recyclables
- Non-organic trash – general trash not containing food scraps
What CAN’T I Put in the Dumpster?
- Appliances containing Freon (e.g. refrigerators, air conditioners)
- Motor oil and other automobile fluids
- Batteries (lead-acid batteries; e.g. car battery)
- Flammable liquids and materials
- Explosives (e.g. fireworks)
- Whole tires
- Paint, oils, varnish, etc.
- Asbestos materials
Items allowed by some dumpster rental companies:
- Washers and dryers
- Household garbage
- Tires cut into small pieces
- Appliances with the Freon taken out
- Household garbage
- TV sets
Some dumpster companies will work with you to dispose of certain prohibited items by either charging you an additional disposal fee or suggesting the best alternative disposal solution.
For example, some dumpster rental companies will accept refrigerators with Freon and/or whole tires if you pay an extra fee and leave the items on the outside of the dumpster rather than putting them inside. This is to avoid mixing toxic wastes with non-toxic debris.
How to get rid of stuff that can’t be put in a dumpster:
There is a safe and eco-friendly way to dispose of the wastes not allowed in dumpsters. Your best bet for toxic chemicals, solvents, paints, tires, and the like is to drop them off at the nearest household hazardous waste (HHW) collection site.
Some cities have a dedicated site open year-round to drop off hazardous wastes, other towns and municipalities may offer an annual or biannual HHW collection event. Check your local government website to get details about upcoming HHW collection events.
Eco-friendly tips for getting rid of prohibited wastes
- Take used motor oil to a local oil change facility for proper recycling.
- Most auto part stores and repair shops accept used car batteries for proper recycling.
- Bring used tires to a tire changing facility for recycling, or put them on Craigslist for free. What you consider junk may not be junk to someone else!
- Donate working appliances and TVs to Habitat for Humanity or another local charity.
Donate or recycle e-waste, like cellphones, tablets, computers, and printers. Search for an e-waste recycler near you.
For your next dumpster rental look no further than the experts at Dumpster Rental Inc! We carry a variety of dumpster rental sizes, perfect for your next home renovation or construction project! If you have any further questions about prohibited items check our page under resources or click here. If you’re ready to schedule your next dumpster rental call us today!